Trek to Living Root Bridge
08:00 AM – 05:00 PM
Book a cab and ask him to drop at the Double Decker Living Root Bridge. The driver will drop you at the entrance and wait for your return.
It takes almost 6 hours to complete the trek from the parking area till Double Decker Living Root Bridge and back. However, if you enjoy adventure and are fit enough, you can extend your trek till the Rainbow Falls. To cover both, it will take 8 – 9 hours.
The location of the Living Root Bridge is right at the bottom of the valley. You have to cover a total of 3500 steps and 4 steel bridges to get there. It takes 1.5 hours to hike down. The difficult part is getting back to the car park when you have to climb 3500 steps. It will take around 2.5 – 3.5 hours.
The arrangement for tourists is really impressive. After every 500 meters, you will come across a shop that serves water, juice, biscuits, chips, etc. Public toilets are available at a couple of points.
Also read: Mawlynnong Itinerary
Homestays are available near the bridge. If you think you cannot complete the trek in one day, you can look to stay here for a day and begin your return journey the next morning.
Things to remember:
- Begin your trek as early as possible to complete the trek before sunset.
- Wear light cloth and carry an extra piece of cloth.
- Don’t carry heavy luggage.
- Carry cash.
- Carry small packets of biscuits, chocolate bars, and water bottles.
- Carry a portable speaker or headphones. This keeps tiredness at bay.
- Rent a bamboo stick for each person. It helps in climbing up.
- Follow the route and if required ask other tourists for directions.
- Rest as much as you can, don’t rush to complete the trek.
- Maintain a slow pace.