Mode of Transport: Sonamarg is 80 km from Srinagar and takes around 2.5 hour to get there. For a hassle-free commute and make most of your time, hire a cab for the day’s sightseeing.
Things to carry:
1. Enough Cash – Sonamarg doesn’t have ATMs and cards are not accepted by local vendors.
2. Snow boots – if visiting during the winter season.
The heaven on Earth
08:00 AM – 05:00 PM
Have a heavy breakfast and head towards Sonamarg.
Sonamarg must be included in your itinerary for Srinagar. The name translates to ‘meadow of gold’, which is an apt translation. The temperature in the winter season can go as low as – 12oC. A paradise untouched by any human settlement, the valley of Sonamarg makes you realize the essence of Amir Khusro’s famous quote, “If there is a paradise on earth, it is this, it is this and it is this.“
If you love adventure, then make a deal with a snow-bike vendor and visit Thajiwas Glacier, a shining frozen lake at a height of 3000 meters from sea level.
The access to Sonamarg depends on the weather conditions. Severe snowfall, at times, blocks the only road passing through the valley. Sledge ride, snow-biking, skiing are pretty common. Usually, tourists end up spending 5 – 6 hours.
Also read: Kashmir Itineraries
1. Check with your hotel if the road to Sonamarg is clear or blocked.
2. If you plan to visit Thajiwas Lake, hire a snow-bike and not a sledge.
3. Thajiwas Glacier is not suitable for infants, elderly and people with breathing complexities.
4. Put your bargaining skills to test with the vendors.